Edward Julius Detmold and his twin brother Charles Maurice Detmold were prolific Victorian book illustrators. They spent time with another uncle, the painter Henry E. Detmold, who encouraged them in their art. The twins subsequently mastered the techniques of watercolour etching and of colour printing with copper plates, buying a printing press and producing their own proofs at home.
In 1909 Detmold worked the illustrations for the Fables of Aesop and in 1911 illustrations for Maurice Maeterlinck’s “The Life of the Bee“, Camille Lemonnier’s “Birds and Beasts” and “The Book of Baby Beasts“.
In the following year he worked on Maeterlinck’s “Hours of Gladness“, in 1915 on “Book of Baby Birds” and in 1919 on “Birds in Town and Village”. In 1919 he also produced a portfolio of “Twenty Four Nature Pictures” and in 1921 on “Our Little Neighbours” and Jean-Henri Fabre’s “Book of Insects“.
Edward Julius became one of the most talented of illustrators, depicting animals and plants with an extraordinary understanding, and making use of fantasy settings of architecture and landscape.
List of books illustrated by E.J. Detmold
- Detmold, M. and E. J. – Pictures from Birdland, Dent 1899
- _ 16 Illustrations from Kipling’s Jungle Book, Macmillan 1903
- Kipling, R. – The Jungle Book, Macmillan 1908
- The Aesop Fables, Hodder & Stoughton, London, 1909
- Dugdale, F. E. – The Book of Baby Beasts, Hodder & Stoughton, London, 1911
- Lemonnier, C. – Birds and Beasts, George Allen, London, 1911
- Maeterlinck, M. P. M. B. – The Life of the Bee, George Allen, London, 1911
- Dugdale, F. F. – The Book of Baby Birds, Hodder & Stoughton, London, 1912
- Maeterlinck, M. P. M. B. – Hours of Gladness, George Allen, London, 1912
- Dugdale, F. E. – The Book of Baby Pets, Hodder & Stoughton, London, 1915
- Kaberry, C. J. – The Book of Baby Dogs, Hodder & Stoughton, London, 1915
- Hudson, W. H. – Birds in Town and Village, Dent 1919
- Maeterlinck, M. P. M. B. – The Children’s Life of the Bee, George Allen, London, 1920
- Fabre, J. H. C. – Fabre’s Book of Insects, Hodder & Stoughton, London, 1921
- Kaberry, C. J. – Our Little Neighbours, Milford 1921
- Hall, A. V. – Rainbow Houses, Cape 1923
- ___ The Arabian Nights, Hodder & Stoughton, London, 1924
- Hall, A. V. – Poems of a South African, Longmans 1928